Tired of looking at your outdated kitchen? Or maybe you just bought a house whose kitchen hasn’t been updated since the Nixon Administration? Either way, you are in need of a remodel! For many, a kitchen remodel can be a daunting task. You may feel overwhelmed with all the decisions, having to convert your guest bath into a makeshift kitchen, all while feeling like you are spending money like it’s going out of style. Just remember, it’s finally your time to get the kitchen of your dreams!
Hiring a designer should be #1 on your list when starting your kitchen renovation. Did you know that typically a professional designer only represents about 4% of a total project budget? Having a professional designer can save you time, money, and worry.
Finding a designer can sometimes be the most difficult part of your renovation. However, there are many tools available to you. Here are a few I recommend:
- Many people will get referrals from friends and family who have already been through the same process. If you secretly covet your neighbor’s kitchen, why not ask them who designed it! For a designer, a kitchen project is like a work of art… they will be great at making yours unique!
- The national design industry associations have great websites available to consumers where you can search for a professional designer. Many of these designers are accredited and specialize in kitchen projects. Here are two I recommend:
- National Kitchen and Bath Association: http://www.nkba.org/Design/Homeowners/ProSearch.aspx. NKBA’s ProSearch allows you to search kitchen and bath professionals near you. After you search, you are able to refine the search for designers. Many times the designer’s website will be listed so you can check out their work.
- American Society of Interior Design: http://www.asid.org/. ASID’s Find a Designer is located on their homepage where you can search for residential designers in your area. I would recommend taking it a step further and typing kitchen into the key words. This will help you find a designer that specializes in kitchen design. From there, many of the designers will have a profile page which gives info on their business and hopefully images of some of their products.
- Lastly, one of the greatest websites since the invention of the internet is www.houzz.com . Today, Houzz is the leading platform for home remodeling and design. On Houzz’s homepage, there is a “Find a Pro” link. From here, you can search “kitchen designers” in your area. You can also find architects, contractors, builders, etc. Once you search, many of these professionals will have a profile that features information on their business as well as many of the projects they have done. This is a great tool to not only “Find a Pro” but also get ideas for your new DREAM KITCHEN!